Monday, January 11, 2016

Driving Force




Years ago, I taught driver’s education for Conahan’s Driving School in Fort Collins, CO. I learned a great deal about driving while teaching there, and continued teaching there for a few years because I thought that they had an amazing curriculum and I was able to teach many of our future drivers how to drive safely on the roads. I thought that their course of study was so good, and is to this day, that I sent my two youngest daughters there before they went for their learner’s permit, and would recommend them to anyone in Northern Colorado who has children ready to learn.

I’ve discovered since that time that our driving is a reflection of our moods and personalities. Recently, I’ve noticed more and more impatient drivers on the roads, and it’s really starting to get to me.

Now, I’m not a perfect driver. I don’t think that anyone is. My wife uses her imaginary footbrake, the one on the passenger’s side, when we drive. I would like to think that I drive well. I stay within the speed limit most of the time. I’m actually one of those people that you might complain about when you’re late. Lately, though, I’ve had so many people tailgating me and, when the opportunity presents itself, find them speeding around me like they’re on their way to a fire, only to have me catch up to them at the next light. Honestly, I have to chuckle when that happens, but I’m concerned about the level of impatience that I see in the world today.

Seeing how so many people are driving makes me wonder why there are so many impatient people out there, and if they’re that impatient in their everyday lives. It used to be said that, “patience is a virtue,” and if that’s still the case, are we becoming less virtuous? Is the art of being patient becoming a lost one?


Patience is a wonderful thing to teach our children by example. I recommend it to each of you. Try being more patient and more kind. Give yourself a little extra time to get places. Be kind to others. Karma has a great way of giving you the extra time that you need when patience becomes a part of your life. Mostly, be patient with yourself, and when you do, you’ll find a whole new world that surrounds you and holds you I a warm hug from the world.

Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments! Please note that all spam and advertisements will be deleted.