Sunday, August 13, 2017

The Eyes Are the Windows to…?

The Eyes Are the Windows to…?

Drew Bankston








Last week I woke up to find that I had double vision. I went to the eye doctor just to be told that my right eye would not look to the right. According to the doctor, this meant that my sixth cranial nerve was not working correctly. More than that, it concerned her deeply. She asked if my family had a history of stroke. She was concerned about the nerve being compressed and what was causing it.

She determined that I needed a CT scan. The hospital determined that I should have an MRI. The insurance company decided that they should see the doctor’s notes before they decided anything. Me? My body was telling me that there was nothing really bad going on. It just was.

I’ve always been big on being in tune with my body. I listen to it and do the things that it tells me to do. So, it came as little surprise to me when, after the doctors, hospital and insurance company came to an agreement, and the MRI was evaluated, that the word was, “it was clean” and that nothing was found.

Next, I went to my family doctor. We decided that because I’ve had a sinus infection for a few weeks that this could be the cause of the 6th nerve palsy. Today I’m a few days into antibiotics, steroids and decongestants. Is it working? It’s probably clearing up my sinuses, but so far no improvement with the eyes.

I fully expect that things will clear up eventually. I’m not certain when it will be, but in the meantime I’m just doing what I can to live with what I see. It’s the way my life has always been. Things happen and I just know that they will get better.

I’ve always felt that this is the way life is. Ups and downs like a roller coaster. Sometimes the ups are incredible and sometimes the downs seem devastating. The important thing to remember, to always remember, is that it evens out and our lives average a pretty smooth road.

I see double. I can’t drive while it’s doing this. I struggle with writing. It’s difficult to go to work and do my job. But I attempt to find ways to adjust, to live, to progress and to thrive. You can do it too. Focus on the positive. Many times things are so bad that you can’t figure out what could possibly be positive. Dig deep. Find the positive and shout it out loud. Share it with the people you meet. Make the positive firmly implanted in your mind. Keep it with you always. Your life will improve by leaps and bounds and you’ll not only find yourself getting through the low in your life, but you’ll reach a higher high on the next upswing!


www.facebook.com/AuthorDrewBankston

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments! Please note that all spam and advertisements will be deleted.